City of Belle Fourche
City Hall – 511 6th Ave.
Belle Fourche, SD 57717
The Common Council of the City of Belle Fourche met on April 15, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. in Regular Session with Mayor Gary Hendrickson presiding.
Members present were:
First Ward Council Members: Chrisann Mateer and Larry Schuldies
Second Ward Council Members: Greg Raisanen and Gloria Landphere
Third Ward Council Members: Karen Wagner and Toni Moncur
Fourth Ward Council Members: Dawn Bowar
Absent was David Pummel
Also present: City Attorney Dwight Gubbrud, Engineer Ryan Kavan, Public Works Director Dirk Hoffman, Police Chief Rob Hansen, BFACC Director Michelle Deyo - Amende and Finance Officer Sharon Mins.
1. The meeting was opened with the Pledge of Allegiance of the United States of America.
2. Motion Wagner second Schuldies to adopt the Agenda as presented. Motion carried.
3. Motion Mateer, second Moncur to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of April 15, 2013, as presented. Motion carried.
4. Mayors Report:
Thanks to Dirk and the Street Crew for getting the streets cleared of snow.
5. General Public Comments:
Next Meeting Date / Reports
Airport - Third Wednesday, No Meeting in April – The Committee is short one member.
Ambulance - Thursday, April 25, 2013 at 5:30 p.m. – Courthouse
BFACC - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 4:00 p.m. – BFACC – The last concert series is tomorrow. The H.S. Play, Guys and Dolls will be presented next weekend. The Hay Fever Run / Walk will be held the same time as the State Fire School with extra family activities planned. The boiler will be installed next week; therefore the pool will be closed. Open House will be held April 29 for summer activities.
Center of the Nation Visitor’s Bureau – Update - Second Tuesday May 14, 2013 at 7:00 a.m. – Chamber
Center of the Nation Business Association - First and Third Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 5:30 p.m. – AmericInn Breakfast Room – CONBA will be assisting with hosting a farewell dinner for Dean and Eileen Strong who are retiring from the BF Livestock Exchange. It will be held April 18 at 4:00 p.m. Mother’s and Father’s Day drawing promotions will be starting next week.
Economic Development - Next Meeting will be April 18, 2013 at 7:00 a.m. to avoid conflict with the GOED Conf. – Council Chambers
Legal - Finance–Monday, April 22, 2013 at 5:15 p.m. Council Chambers
Library - First Tuesday, May 7, 2013 5:00 p.m. – Library – Total patrons for March was 1500 with 5300 circulations.
Museum – Monday, May 13, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. – Museum – A meeting will be held April 22 with the Museum Board at 6:00 and the Foundation Board attending at 7:00 p.m.
Planning & Zoning - First Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 7:00 a.m. – Council Chambers
Police - Second Thursday, May 9, 2013 at 12:00 Noon – Council Chambers
Public Works - Monday, April 22, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. – Council Chambers
The following items were discussed by the appropriate Council Appointed Committee / Board, with membership including at least one City Council Member, and unanimously recommended, by the quorum, for approval, and placed on the consent agenda for final action to be taken on all items by a single vote. Any item may be removed from the consent agenda by the Mayor or a Councilperson for separate consideration.
Nothing at this time.
1. Recommendation to approve the 2013 11th Annual Hay Fever Fun Run / Walk Route on June 8, 2013. This is the same route as previous years, with the exception of the start and end location. Due to the State Fire School, we will begin and end at Lou Graslie Field. The route will be marked but no roads will be closed.
2. Recommendation for Marcy Reagan Urban to attend the 3rd. annual SD Afterschool Alliance Meeting and the annual OST Director’s Conference in Pierre, May 2 - 4. Registration fee is $100, mileage $148, hotel $100 for a total of $348.00.
3. Recommendation to Reclassify Megan Block from Casual Lifeguard / WSI $8.40 per hour to Seasonal Head Lifeguard / WSI $9.49 per hour.
4. Recommendation to Reclassify Brett Rauterkaus from Head Lifeguard $10.02 per hour to Part Time Lifeguard / WSI at $9.49 per hour.
5. Recommendation to Reclassify Part Time Lifeguards to Seasonal, no wage change:
Austin Carbajal Taylor Gubbrud Bridget Howell
Luke Leverington Sarah Reese Justin Shoop
Cassidy Thompson Brenan Wolf
6. Recommendation to Reclassify Leave of Absence Lifeguards to Seasonal, no wage change:
Tesa Hill Forest Thompson
7. Recommendation to Hire Kaylee Fischer as Seasonal Lifeguard at a wage of $7.66 per hour.
8. Recommendation to Hire Tealayna Hill as Seasonal Lifeguard at a wage of $7.66 per hour.
9. Recommendation to Hire Brady Leverington as Seasonal Lifeguard at a wage of $7.66 per hour.
10. Recommendation to Hire Mitchell Reese as Seasonal Lifeguard at a wage of $7.66 per hour.
11. Recommendation to Hire Breck Young as Seasonal Lifeguard at a wage of $7.66 per hour.
12. Recommendation to Reclassify Liz Day from Casual Sports Official to Seasonal Lifeguard at a wage of $7.66 per hour.
13. Recommendation to Reclassify Missy Fleischauer from Part Time Lifeguard / WSI to Casual Lifeguard / WSI, no wage change.
14. Recommendation to Hire Paxton Bachand as Seasonal Lifeguard / WSI at a wage of $8.17 per hour.
15. Recommendation to Reclassify Christine Mart from Regular Part Time Program Aid I to Seasonal Program Aid I, no wage change.
16. Recommendation to Hire Mary Ellen Koch as Part Time Customer Service Representative at $7.66 per hour.
17. Recommendation to Hire Alex Kiley as Part Time Customer Service Representative at $7.66 per hour.
18. Recommendation to Hire Allison Verry as Seasonal Customer Service Representative at $7.66 per hour.
19. Recommend that Lou Florez be hired for the position of Museum Aide II, $10.00 per hour to begin upon completion of her two weeks notice to her current employer.
Planning and Zoning Board
20. Recommend approval of annexation for Lot 4, Persche Addition, City of Belle Fourche. Resolution No. 4 - 2013.
Resolution No. 4 - 2013
RESOLUTION OF ANNEXATION
WHEREAS, a petition has been filed with the Common Council of the City of Belle Fourche, Butte County, South Dakota, to annex property hereinafter described pursuant to SDCL - 9 - 4 - 1, as amended; and
WHEREAS, the property to be annexed is described as follows:
Parcel No. 64.08.2.4 – Lot 4, Persche Addition, E1 / 2SW1 / 4, Section 22, T8N, R2E, BHM, Butte County – to be zoned General Residential.
WHEREAS, the Belle Fourche Planning and Zoning Commission has reviewed the request and feels the annexation of such property would be in the best interest of the City;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the corporate limits of the City of Belle Fourche be and are hereby extended to include the above described property, as noted in the legal description, zoning to be General Residential.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the within described territories shall be and are hereby extended to be a part of Ward 3, Precinct 25 and shall be subject to all such regulations.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that this Resolution shall be recorded at length in the minutes of the meeting at which said Resolution is passed along with the statement of the number of votes for and against the same and then published in full as part of the minutes.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that on the 20th day after publication of this Resolution, a copy certified by the Finance Officer, and a map showing the property to be annexed, shall be recorded in the Office of the Butte County Register of Deeds
and thereupon such territory shall become and be a part of the City of Belle Fourche, South Dakota.
21. Recommendation to approve final plat for Owner, Applicant: Ruth Ann Perry, Lot 4A & 4B, formally Lot 4, Persche Addition.
Police Committee Board
Nothing at this time.
Public Works Committee
22. Recommendation to approve Account Adjustments as on file at City Hall.
23. Recommendation to approve extensions on water bill payments as on file at City Hall.
24. Recommend approval to declare the following items surplus to be auctioned off at Black Hills Auction Company: 50’ mayrath auger appraised at $400.00, Wheatheart jump auger appraised at $250.00, used barb wire appraised t $50.00.
25. Recommend approval of pay estimate #2 for Project No. 2012 - 21 Belle Fourche Industrial & Rail Park for $248,938.47 to Ladner Excavating & Trenching.
26. Recommend approval for Inspection and Materials Testing, Belle Fourche Industrial & Rail Park Project 2012 - 21 for $29,741.00 to American Technical Services, Inc.
27. Recommend approval for the All Car Rally to use Herrmann Park on Saturday, June 15, 2013 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
28. Recommend the following persons be hired / rehired as seasonal employees. They will report to work as soon as possible. Rehire: Trey Horman $8.40 per hr., Alexandra Bush $8.50 per hr., Hire: Stephanie Klein $8.30 per hr., Derek Diefenderfer $8.30 per hr., Jordynn Schmautz $8.30 per hr., Zachary Anderson $8.15 per hr.
Legal Finance Committee
29. Recommend approval of the Revised Family Medical Leave Policy in the Employee Policy Manual, Section 9.4.
30. Recommend approval of the Leave Donation Policy to be included in the Employee Policy Manual, Section 9.3.8. Leave donation has been allowed in the past but was not included in the Policy.
32. Recommend approval to clarify Compensatory Time, Section 7.12 in the Employee Policy Manual. This will put a maximum criteria in place.
32. Recommend approval for Ordinance Update Section 5.16.081 regarding firearms.
33. Recommend approval for Ordinance Update Section 5.28 regarding firearms.
34. Recommend approval for Ordinance Update Section 17.38.030 regarding firearms.
35. Recommend approval of a change in serving hours for the Roundup’s Special Liquor License. The time of serving will change only on July 3rd, instead of starting at 3 p.m.; they will start at 10 a.m.
Nothing at this time.
Motion Wagner, second Landphere to approve the Consent Agenda. Motion carried.
1. Jim Doolittle gave an update on the Belle Fourche Development Corporation activities. Several Committee members visited 10 different economic development parks in eastern South Dakota for comparisons and information. Scott Peterson said Belle Fourche has the opportunity to prosper because of the energy activity. He said the Governor’s Office of Economic Development is a partner with Belle Fourche and will assist with prospective leads. Mayor Hendrickson said the Belle Fourche Development Corporation Committee has been a positive experience and will create jobs for the area. Karen Wagner stated the community involvement has been great to see with the Development Corp.
2. Motion Wagner second Landphere to approve first reading of Ordinance No. 6 - 2013 – Firearms Section 5.16.081. Motion carried.
3. Motion Raisanen second Bowar to approve first reading of Ordinance No. 7 - 2013 – Firearms Section 5.28. Motion carried.
4. Motion Mateer second Wagner to approve first reading of Ordinance No. 8 - 2013 – Firearms Section 17.38.030. Motion carried.
5. Motion Raisanen second Bowar to approve the bills as presented. Motion carried.
Motion Raisanen, second Schuldies to adjourn the meeting at 7:26 p.m. Motion carried.
ALL AROUND AUTO REP / MAINT $385.20; AMCON DIST OTHER - RESALE $88.46; BENNETT, MAIN & GUBBRUD LEGAL SERVICES $1,539.45; BF CHAMBER OF COMMERCE VISITORS INFO $5,666.67; BF FLYING SERVICE CONT SERVICES $2,416.34; BH PIONEER DUES & FEES $1,430.50; BH POWER UTILITIES $29898.62; BICKLE TRUCK REP / MAINT $93.12; BIG D OIL GAS / FUEL / OIL $104.18; BUDGET APPLIANCE SUPPLIES $8.00; BUTLER MACH SUPPLIES $427.06; BUTTE COUNTY AUDITOR CONT SERVICES $50,000.00; BUTTE COUNTY REGISTER IMP PROJECT $244.00; BUTTE ELEC UTILITIES $5,250.11; CASK & CORK FREIGHT $261.00; CBH GAS / FUEL / OIL $11,146.33; CENTURY BUS EQUIP LSES $307.43; CENTURY LINK TELE / INTERNET $346.74; COCA COLA OTHER - RESALE $328.00; DAKOTA EQUI SUPPLIES $143.89; DAKOTACARE INSURANCE $57632.32; DALE'S TIRE REP / MAINT $355.16; DEBORA SMOOT SUPPLIES $79.96; DIESEL MACH REP / MAINT $336.31; EAGLE SALES BEER - RESALE $14,123.64; EDDIES TRUCK REP / MAINT $1,285.73; ELLIS CON IMP PROJECT $8,442.50; FAST BREAK SUPPLIES $28.00; FIRST WESTERN INS LIABILITY $659.11; FISHER BEV BEER - RESALE $7,277.40; GOLDEN WEST CONT SERVICES $97.50; GOLDEN WEST TECH EQUIP LSES $1,305.77; HANSEN WALKER MOWERS REP / MAINT $990.20; HAWKINS REP / MAINT $128.00; HD SUPPLY REP / MAINT $808.87; JIM SMIT TRAV / CONF $9.00; JOE DIRT REP / MAINT $200.00; JOHNSON BROS LIQUOR - RESALE $29,076.97; JOHNSON ELEC REP / MAINT $620.15; KATIE ALLART GAS / FUEL / OIL $48.85; KBFS RADIO ADVERTISING $42.50; KRYSTI WEED UNIFORMS $91.48; KUSTOM SIGNALS EQUIP $122.00; LADNER IMP PORJECT $248,938.47; LIGHTING MAIN REP / MAINT $225.12; LUEDERS SUPPLIES $139.31; LYNNS SUPPLIES $36.02; MARCY URBAN SUPPLIES $108.00; MASON'S GAS / FUEL / OIL $311.14; MCGAS PROPANE GAS / FUEL / OIL $317.11; MID AMERICA TRAVEL PLAZA GAS / FUEL / OIL $24.01; MID CONTINENT TESTING LABS TESTING $154.50; MIDCONTINENT BUS TELE / INTERNET $120.00; MITCH PETERSEN REFUND $78.76; MOTIVE PARTS SUPPLIES $1,488.94; MUNICIPAL CODE CORP DUES & FEES $700.00; NEVE'S UNIFORMS $148.89; NEW DEAL TIRE DISPOSAL / RECY $7,161.75; NIKKI BURGHDUFF TRAV / CONF $51.92; NORA ERHART TRAV / CONF $18.00; NH TRAINING CONT SERVICES $513.66; NORTHWEST PIPE FITTINGS SUPPLIES $25.42; OFFICE EMPORIUM SUPPLIES $148.18; PEPSI COLA OTHER - RESALE $143.20; PRAIRIE BERRY WINERY WINE - RESALE $1,517.00; PRAIRIE WIND BG GAS / FUEL / OIL $73.35; PROPET SUPPLIES $236.90; QUILL CORP SUPPLIES $471.43; RAPID CITY JOURNAL OTHER - RESALE $17.25; RAPID CITY JOURNAL LEGAL NOTICES $920.15; RAPID DELIVERY TESTING $10.80; REGIONAL HEALTH PHY DRUG TESTING $318.00; REPUBLILC NATIONAL DIST WINE - RESALE $22,371.52; ROBB'S ENTERPRISE RENT $1,500.00; ROGER FRYES PAINT REP / MAINT $232.45; SAMS CLUB SUPPLIES $398.30; SAND CREEK PRINTING SUPPLIES $2,338.86; SCHADE WINERY WINE - RESALE $360.00; SD FEDERAL PROPERTY AGENCY SUPPLIES $172.50; SD DEPT OF REV DIV OF MTR VEH DUES & FEES $14.00; SERVALL SUPPLIES $406.14; SHOPKO SUPPLIES $291.08; SD ONE CALL CONT SERVICES $44.40; SOUTH PARK LANES SUPPLIES $99.00; STEREOS N STUFF COMP / SWARE $836.83; STURDEVANT'S EQUIPMENT $440.08; STURGIS CIGAR & KNIFE OTHER - RESALE $59.55; TOUR ICE OTHER - RESALE $44.75; US PS POSTAGE $3,000.00; VIEHAUSER ENTERPRISES IMP PROJECT $775.90; WEATHER HAT CO REFUND $2278.29; WELL'S PLUMBING REP / MAINT $1,631.84; WEST TIRE REP / MAINT $75.00; WHO LET THE DOGZ OUT POUNDMASTER $2,425.00; LIBRARY; A & B BUS EQUIP LSES $32.49; ANNIES ATTIC BOOKS $19.94; ARGUS LEADER PUBLICATIONS $334.32; BH POWER UTILITIES $420.62; BOOK OF THE MONTH CLUB BOOKS $40.97; CENTER POINT PUB BOOKS $77.88; DEMCO SUPPLIES $112.56; EMERY PRATT CO BOOKS $623.56; GALE BOOKS $79.46; GARDNER MEDIA BOOKS $173.52; LONG RIDER BOOKS RDG PROGRAM $477.00; MICROMARKETING BOOKS $75.69; MIDWEST LIVING PUBLICATIONS $10.39; PUMPKIN BOOKS BOOKS $136.72; READER SERVICE BOOKS $46.43; SALEM PRESS BOOKS $420.00; SAND CREEK PRINTING SUPPLIES $10.50; SD STATE ARCHIVES AUDIO VISUAL $28.80; SMART APPLE MEDIA BOOKS $246.56; TASTE OF HOME BOOKS PUBLICATIONS $14.98; UPSTART SUPPLIES $440.05
PAYROLL – MARCH, 2013: Mayor / Council $5,169.15; Finance $9,388.14; Payroll / HR $2,658.38; Cust / Mntnc $16,237.07; Engineering $5,214.97; Police $64,278.09; Bldg Insp / Code Enfor $1,421.95; Str / Shop $5,724.23; SW Coll $5,543.83; SW Disp $43,078.07; Sewer $23,870.60; Water $29,375.74; Cemetery $5,670.81; BFACC - AD $9,025.75; BFACC - PG $8,309.73; BFACC - AQ $11,058.26; BFACC - CS $5,896.93; BFACC - CO $5,324.83; Parks $8,225.86; Library $15,487.37; Museum $6,218.69; LQ Store $8,501.60; GRAND TOTAL $295,680.05.
Gary Hendrickson, Mayor
Sharon Mins, Finance Officer
Published once at the total approximate cost of $162.69.
Published Wed., April 24, 2013
Butte County Post