City of Belle Fourche
City Hall – 511 Sixth Ave.
Belle Fourche, SD 57717
The Common Council of the City of Belle Fourche met on April 1, 2013, at 7:00 p.m. in Regular Session with Mayor Gary Hendrickson presiding.
Members present were:
First Ward Council Members: Chrisann Mateer and Larry Schuldies
Second Ward Council Members: Greg Raisanen and Gloria Landphere
Third Ward Council Members: Toni Moncur
Fourth Ward Council Members: David Pummel and Dawn Bowar
Absent was Karen Wagner
Also present: City Attorney Dwight Gubbrud, Engineer Ryan Kavan, Public Works Director Dirk Hoffman, Sergeant Scott Jones for Police Chief Rob Hansen, BFACC Director Michelle Deyo - Amende and Finance Officer Sharon Mins.
1. The meeting was opened with the Pledge of Allegiance of the United States of America.
2. Motion Raisanen second Mateer to adopt the Agenda as presented. Motion carried.
3. Motion Pummel, second Schuldies to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of March 18, 2013, as presented. Motion carried.
4. Mayors Report:
Free Landfill use for City residents is scheduled for May 13 thru May 18 and people are encouraged to take advantage of this service.
The Belle Fourche Development Corp. will give an update on current happenings at the next Council meeting on April 15th.
5. General Public Comments: None
Next Meeting Date / Reports
Airport - Third Wednesday, April 17, 2013 at 5:30 p.m.
Ambulance - Thursday, April 25, 2013 at 5:30 p.m. – Courthouse
BFACC - Monday, April 8, 2013 at 4:00 p.m. – BFACC – The pool boiler will be delivered this week and installation is expected to be a three to four day project. Open Houses are being held for summer activity registrations. The website will be available for registrations by May 1.
Center of the Nation Visitor’s Bureau – Update - Second Tuesday April 9, 2013 at 7:00 a.m. – Chamber
Center of the Nation Business Association - First and Third Tuesday, April 2, 2013 - 5:30 p.m. – AmericInn Breakfast Room – Recap of the Easter Egg Hunt. Thanks to the Council and all volunteers for helping to stuff eggs.
Economic Development - Next Meeting will be April 18, 2013 at 7:00 a.m. to avoid conflict with the GOED Conf. – Council Chambers
Legal - Finance–Monday, April 8, 2013 at 5:15 p.m. Council Chambers
Library - First Tuesday, April 2, 2013 5:00 p.m. – Library
Museum – Monday, April 8, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. - Museum
Planning & Zoning - First Wednesday, April 3, 2013 at 7:00 a.m. – Council Chambers
Police - Second Thursday, April 11, 2013 at 12:00 Noon – Council Chambers
Public Works - Monday, April 8, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. – Council Chambers
The following items were discussed by the appropriate Council Appointed Committee / Board, with membership including at least one City Council Member, and unanimously recommended, by the quorum, for approval, and placed on the consent agenda for final action to be taken on all items by a single vote. Any item may be removed from the consent agenda by the Mayor or a Councilperson for separate consideration.
1. Recommendation to approve Assignment of lease of hangar space at the Belle Fourche Airport from Harms Hangar LLP, Stanley Harms, to Gregg Smeenk and Jed Smeenk.
Nothing at this time.
2. Recommend approval for Rochelle Silva and Nancy Cole to travel to Pierre, SD, April 10 to April 13 to attend the Association of South Dakota Museums’ Annual Meeting. Cost for the conference is $102; hotel is $195 for 3 nights; 8 meals each at the per diem rate $146; mileage 402 miles at .37 = $148.74. (if city vehicle is unavailable) Total is $443 (with mileage $591.74).
Planning and Zoning Board:
Nothing at this time.
Police Committee Board:
Nothing at this time.
Public Works Committee:
3. Recommendation to approve an Account Adjustment as on file at City Hall.
4. Recommendation to accept the Public Works Director’s recommendation that Darrell Carr be hired to fill the new Heavy Equipment Operator I position at the Belle Fourche Regional Landfill. Mr. Carr is a replacement employee. Recommend he be hired at the starting wage of $13.02 per hour. He will be in an introductory period for the first six months that he works for the City. He will officially begin in this position as soon as possible.
5. Recommend authorization to supply a water service line and yard hydrant in lieu of cash payment for an easement on Lot 1, Block H., Craft’s Addition.
6. Recommend to not permit KLJ to discharge wastewater into the City of Belle Fourche wastewater lagoons by recommendation from Engineer Kavan.
7. Recommend approval to waive the fees ($25.00) to the Fire Department for use of the Highland Park shelter on June 6 - 8, 2013.
8. Recommend approving installing “Children at Play” sign on Tenth Avenue between Highway 212 and Day Street, and to obtain the Police Department’s recommendation for the speed limit on 10th Ave. and posting signs.
9. Recommend to approve declaring a nuisance at Superior Truss and The Pallet Shop, 111 Industrial St.
10. Recommend approving free landfill use by residents of the City from May 13 through May 18, 2013.
11. Recommend approval to call for bids for Baler Wire at the Landfill.
Legal Finance Committee:
12. Recommend to acknowledge a raffle fundraiser for John Tracy to help defray medical expenses. A fundraiser event will be held at the Country Club on May 4th 5:00 - 8:00 p.m. National Mutual Benefits are providing support for the event. Barb Bonnichsen is the contact person.
13. Recommend approval for Lucy Ruby to work five to 10 hours off-site with a lap top computer doing the ICS (Incident Command Station) 100, 200 and 700 training. This will be for FEMA reporting which Lucy will be doing for the City.
14. Recommend to approve the Liquor License application for owner name and business name change. Owner Todd Fierro to American West Companies, LLC and business name form American West Steak House to Trails End Saloon / Rancher Grille.
15. Recommend to approve the 2012 Annual Report and submit to SD Legislative Audit.
Nothing at this time.
Motion Landphere, second Bowar to approve the Consent Agenda. Motion carried.
1. Brad Ellis, Ellis Consultants, Inc., Engineer on the Industrial & Rail Park Project was present and gave an update on the Project. Earth moving started March 11th and currently the project is a week and a half ahead of schedule. They encountered some unexpected water problems in two areas which is the reason for the need of Change Order No. 1. Motion Pummel, second Schuldies to approve Change Order No. 1 for a contract increase of $65,398.80. Motion carried.
District 10 Meeting – Thursday, April 18, 2013 at the Days Inn / Golden Hills Inn in Lead
Registration Deadline is April 4.
2a. Motion Raisanen, second Moncur to approve the bills as presented. Motion carried.
3. Motion Pummel, second Schuldies to go into executive session for personnel at 7:19 p.m. Motion carried.
Mayor Hendrickson declared to return to regular session at 7:35 p.m.
Motion Mateer, second Pummel to terminate Jeffrey Hauf, Custodial Maintenance effective immediately and authorize to advertise the vacant position. Motion carried.
Motion Mateer, second Bowar to terminate James Batton, Public Works - street, water and sewer effective immediately and authorize to advertise the vacant position. Motion carried.
Motion Landphere, second Schuldies to adjourn the meeting at 7:36 p.m. Motion carried.
A & B BUS PRINTING $334.69; AIR DOC REP / MAINT $584.42; AMCON DIST OTHER - RESALE $410.78; AUDREY PALMER REFUND $45.30; AVENET WEB SOL COMP / SWARE $519.45; BANYON DATA COMP / SWARE $485.00; BF DEVELOPMENT PROMO OF CITY $5,218.94; BF VOL FIRE OTHER CURRENT $3,709.69; BH DOOR SYSTEMS REP / MAINT $812.00; BH POWER UTILITIES $600.66; BUDGET APPLIANCE SUPPLIES $6.00; CARMEN DRIELING REFUND $10.38; CASK & CORK WINE - RESALE $537.54; CENTURY BUS EQUIP LSES $139.00; COURTNEY OSHANICK REFUND $46.93; DAKOTA LUMBER IMP PROJECT $1,618.00; ELLIS TRIPP REFUND $43.83; ERIC BEEMAN REFUND $6.87; EZ FABRICATION REP / MAINT $22.32; FAST BREAK AWARDS $348.00; GARY HENDRICKSON TRAV / CONF $36.26; HANSEN WALKER MOWERS EQUIPMENT $11,900.00; HD SUPPLY SUPPLIES $1,065.44; HERSRUDS REP / MAINT $229.08; HILLYARD SUPPLIES $256.65; IRENE KENNISON REFUND $33.05; JEREMY BIEGERT TRAV / CONF $39.99; JOHNSON ELEC REP / MAINT $255.51; KATIE ALLART TRAV / CONF $1,233.85; KEN WOLF REFUND $36.14; KIM SMOOT UNIFORMS $100.00; KNIGHT SECURITY CONT SERVICES $1,200.00; KRISTYN FULLER REFUND $45.35; KNOLOGY TELE / INTERNET $1057.05;L RUBY SUPPLIES $26.00; M & T FIRE SUPPLIES $366.76; MARCY URBAN TRAV / CONF $181.00; MICKEYS TROPHY SHOP SUPPLIES $150.84; MID - AMERICAN RESEARCH SUPPLIES $2,623.20; NEVE’S UNIFORMS $117.34; NEW DEAL TIRE DISPOSAL / RECY $16,123.50; ONEOK BAKKEN PIPELINE REFUND $900.00; PATTY CROENI TRAV / CONF $33.00; PMB 0112 TELE / INTERNET $5.77; QUILL CORP SUPPLIES $411.45; RANDY WARREN REFUND $21.76; REGIONAL HEALTH PHYSICIANS DRUG TESTING $220.00; RESERVE ACCOUNT POSTAGE $247.67; ROSS EQUIP REP / MAINT $110.00; ROUNDUP BUILD SUPPLIES $335.33; SCOTT SCOFIELD REFUND $17.66; SD MUNICIPAL ST MAINT TRAV / CONF $50.00; SETH FARNSWORTH REFUND $34.54; SNYDER INS SUPPLIES $2,251.44; STREET IMAGE REP / MAINT $255.00; STURGIS CIGAR & KNIFE OTHER - RESALE $114.91; TASHA PIANTIONO REFUND $27.10; THOMAS ADLER REFUND $73.38; TOUR ICE OTHER - RESALE $38.80; TRACY VETTER REFUND $17.66; TRI STATE BAKERY STUDIOS SUPPLIES $38.00; USA BLUEBOOK SUPPLIES $80.23; VALERIE AUSTIN REFUND $9.03; VERIZON WIRELESS TELE / INTERNET $337.20; WESTERN STAR EQUIP LSES $238.73; WINNERS CIRCLE PR / EDUC $139.75; LIBRARY; AVENET WEB SOLUTIONS COMP / SWARE $30.55; KNOLOGY TELE / INTERNET $31.17;RESERVE ACCOUNT POSTAGE $18.95
Gary Hendrickson, Mayor
Published once at the total approximate cost of $102.79.
Published Wed. April 10, 2013
Butte County Post