Taste of the town
Join the Spearfish Chamber of Commerce at the 25th Annual Taste of Spearfish on Jan. 29 from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Spearfish Park Pavilion. For more information, call the Spearfish Chamber at 642-2626.
This popular event is an opportunity to try many local specialties all in one convenient location. Partake in the silent auction and win certificates from the variety of vendors.
Several restaurants will be set up in the pavilion that evening. Admission is $2 per person (5 and under free), and food tickets are $1 each.
This year's participating restaurants include A'viands, Barbacoa's Burritos & Wraps, Buffalo Jump Saloon & Steakhouse, Bunky's BBQ, Cheyenne Crossing Cafe, City Brew Coffee, Guadalajara Mexican Restaurant, Killian's Food & Drink, Lucky's 13, and Qdoba.
Odd Art Workshop
Deadwood History Inc. will host an Odd Art Workshop from 10 a.m. to noon on Saturday at the Days of ‘76 Museum.
Participants will learn about different types of art, and youth will study several famous artists and view selections of their Black Hills-inspired artwork. During the workshop, students will create their own "odd art," such as Alien Name Art, which is created by using the child’s first name as the design. Youth will also make watercolor magnets with permanent markers. Light refreshments will be served.
The workshop is $6 for museum members and $11 for non-members, and is suggested for students in grades K-6. Reservations are required.
Call Amanda Brown, education director, at 578-1657 for reservations or more information.
New exhibit at Tri-State Museum
The Tri-State Museum and Visitor Center will open a new temporary exhibit on Saturday, titled “Not a Drop to Drink: The History of Prohibition.”
The exhibit will feature photos and storyboards about Prohibition, especially as they relate to South Dakota history. It will also include artifacts of the time, including items from the Roaring Twenties, when Prohibition was in effect.
National Prohibition was established through the 18th Amendment and took effect in 1920. It banned the manufacture, sale or transportation of intoxicating liquors. Increasingly ineffective and ridiculed, it was repealed in 1933.
South Dakota had an on-again, off-again relationship with prohibition after it gained statehood in 1889 and residents had already voted the state “bone dry” before nation-wide Prohibition was enacted.
The exhibit will open on Saturday, with a casual 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. reception. It will remain in place until June 5.
Area residents with stories about that time are encouraged to contact the museum. To provide a story related to Prohibition or an artifact you’d be willing to loan to the Tri-State Museum and Visitor Center, call 723-1200, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit at 415 Fifth Ave. in Belle Fourche.
The museum is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.