Stimulus funds secures 7,000 jobs in SD this year

2010-04-18T05:00:00Z Stimulus funds secures 7,000 jobs in SD this yearThe Associated Press The Associated Press
April 18, 2010 5:00 am  •

The federal stimulus package has provided South Dakota with millions of dollars and thousands of jobs as the nation recovers from an economic recession.

A statement from the White House cites a federal report showing 7,000 South Dakota jobs created or saved in the first quarter of 2010 can be attributed to the federal stimulus package. The money was responsible for 2.5 million jobs nationwide so far this year.

The report also shows $960 million in stimulus funds has flowed into South Dakota. The money is being used to fill state budget gaps, create jobs and provide tax breaks for hard-hit families, among other things.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

1. archiejones
    archiejones - April 18, 2010 8:07 pm
    Goldman Sachs Bonuses: Bank Paying Staff Over $5 Billion For Just Three Months Work

Now this is the kind of stimulus that jammies believes in!

2. Jammer
    Jammer - April 18, 2010 5:48 pm
    Hey One If By land, I will raise your “economically challenged”-- one “no running water”. Yep, the house we lived in when I was born did not have indoor facilities. Now I must admit, we did have electricity. So, Erik C will be happy to learn that I didn’t have to climb all that high to get on my “high horse”.

It is almost laughable what these progressives call the “working poor”, and the ‘under privileged” today. They have no idea what poor was or what the living conditions were like in rural SD not that many years ago.

Got to go and get back on “my high horse”. See ya!!!!
  3. Jammer
    Jammer - April 18, 2010 5:39 pm
    Erik C said on: April 18, 2010, 11:01 am
    My job is a direct result of the stimulus......I find it quite sad that Jammer sits on his high-horse and judges all the hard working folks who have benefited from the stimulus.
    -----------------

Well Erik C, I am sincerely happy that you have a job. I wished everybody had a job. However, it is disturbing to see that you have so much hatred, contempt and disrespect for the US taxpayers that apparently are paying for YOUR job. I really do find that sad.

I do not believe that I specifically judged any hard working people that are benefiting from the stimulus unless they are "selling" their votes. This particular behavior is a real threat to the individual freedoms of Americans. I did question how many more REAL jobs could have been created if a different approach would have been used. I certainly was critical of the politicians that do these things for their OWN personal political benefit. I expressed concern for the people that actually filled any of these TEMPORARY jobs when the stimulus money runs out and the job will end. If we would have created REAL jobs in the private sector, that would not have been as big of a concern.

But you know what Erik C? Even though you were quite disrespectful of me, I did send my taxes in before April 15 and I did have to pay taxes this year. I guess "sitting on my high horse" pays pretty well. In any event, the check is in the mail.

You did not mention if your job was in the private sector or whether it was a permanent job. You don’t seemed to be concerned over what the future of the job is. You apparently are just concerned that the government provides for you each month. Otherwise your comments would have been much different. Oh well, as long as the taxpayer's checks don't bounce I guess you are not too concerned, so why should I be?
  4. Report Abuse
    - April 18, 2010 2:53 pm
    Erik C, I am sincerely glad that you have employment, too. I am sincerely happy that you hold your head up and are obviously proud of the job that you do. I am especially happy for your kids - I grew up as a kid in a family that by most definitions would be called "economically challenged", and five or six decades later I still have vivid memories of those days.

I just hope you are getting our $960 million worth.
  5. Erik C
    Erik C - April 18, 2010 11:01 am
    My job is a direct result of the stimulus. My paycheck supports my family and I buy from local small businesses. I'm proud of the work that I do and I'm quite thankful for the job that I have. I find it quite sad that Jammer sits on his high-horse and judges all the hard working folks who have benefited from the stimulus. Keep writing your diatribes on economic theory, my friend, but at the end of the day, a job's a job. My kids don't give a hoot about your socialist conspiracy theories. They're just happy that we have food on the table.
  6. LTBH
    LTBH - April 18, 2010 10:35 am
    There isn't any realistic way to defend the stimulis bill. Even the administration has admitted the numbers "may not" be accurate. Most of the money went to government. It doesn't matter which level of goverment because they of course spent it the way they always do which means they or their friends benefited from it. Even after tanking our economy, our elected officials continue to show that their only concern is for themselves. They know that even if you vote them out, they still have their benefits we pay for and inside connections to help them get jobs that will allow them to influence the person taking their place and yet make even more money. I was thinking about running for office. My slogan would be "Since our goverenment is so corrupt, I can't accomplish anything but I want the benefits".
    At least I'm honest.
  7. Rush Mountmore
    Rush Mountmore - April 18, 2010 10:17 am
    Considering 51% of United States employment is by government workers, you would expect most of these checks would go to more government employees.
  8. Jammer
    Jammer - April 18, 2010 8:45 am
    I went on recovery.gov and looked at where some of this stimulus money went and the jobs created by it. Here is just one entry that I found.
    -----------------------

SOCIAL SERVICES, SOUTH DAKOTA DEPARTMENT OF
    Total Award Amount $4,110,910
    Jobs Reported 5.90

Community & Neighborhood Development

Additional caseworkers continue to be hired and trained to respond to family needs. The agencies report that managers are meeting with and communicating with linkage partners. The partners' responses have been overwhelmingly positive with the plan for the work to be done and the information that they need to either make referrals or assist clients. Demand for emergency services has increased dramatically and staff members continue receiving many applications per day. This quarter 4,983 households have received assistance with utilities, rent/mortgage/deposits, food/personal care, employment, transportation, glasses/prescriptions/dental, temporary shelter, emergency vehicle fuel, and assistance with homelessness. Project to date, a total of 5,658 households have received assistance. Jobs Created 5.90 Description of Jobs Created 23 full or part-time positions have been created as Community Service Workers, Family Caseworkers, and Family Caseworker Managers to respond to the applications received and work with individuals and families.
  9. Report Abuse
    - April 18, 2010 7:57 am
    archiejones was doing an ok job of stating his position until he got to "The money is being used to fill state budget gaps, create jobs and provide tax breaks for hard-hit families, among other things." So, arch, you are then admitting that this money went primarliy to things like:

- One government entity simply propping up another government entity (...fill state budget gaps...),

- Welfare/entitlement programs (...provide tax breaks for hard-hit families...),

- Various Democratic earmarks that they would really rather not talk about (...among other things.), and lest we forget,

- Create jobs. Like other posters here, I would really like to see the full list of 7000 jobs "created".
  10. Jammer
    Jammer - April 18, 2010 6:07 am
    openmind said on: April 17, 2010, 8:59 pm To argue the other side. I for one was hired and paid with stimulus money thru the federal government. Most of the money I made was spent at local businesses. So it could be said that stimulus money helped keep some local businesses open. I hear alot of people complain about what is going on in government, they are not willing to do anything about it but complain. Most of those complainers only know one side of the story. Uneducated comments only breed contempt.
    -------------

Well openminded, I am happy that you have a job. I would be interested in hearing the other side of the story as you put it. However, your post was very brief on details. You have not said if your job is a private sector job or a government job. If it is a government job, what part of government is it in? If it is a government job, is it supported by on going tax revenue or is the financial support only there until the stimulus money runs out?

Is your job a permanent job or is it temporary? Did you replace another person, is this a position that previously existed but was eliminated die to the recession or is this job a brand position that never existed before? There are just many details that you left out.

The real question is not how many jobs were funded by the stimulus bill? The real question is: How many jobs would have been funded if that same money had been put to other uses? Many Americans think more jobs would have been created without the stimulus bill than with it. They also seem to understand that there is a big difference between a permanent private sector job and a temporary stimulus job.

There was a report awhile back on recovery.gov that stated of the 634,000 stimulus jobs funded from Feb. 17 to Oct. 1, 2009, 601,000 were funded by grants. The largest grant recipient was the Governor's Office of Planning and Research in Sacramento, California - the second largest was the Executive Office of the State of Washington and the third largest was the state of New York. Almost all of the grants went to state offices. A large percentage of the stimulus money was given to governors to spend on shoring up their state budgets. That money went primarily to employ government workers.

The fraction of stimulus funds that were actually contracts, not grants, and went to "shovel-ready" projects went to short-term construction projects. When those projects are done, those jobs will cease to exist. The same can be said for many of the government jobs funded this past year. Many school districts across the country that received stimulus grants have already burned through their stimulus money. A lot of teachers will get pink slips this spring as there will be no money for next years contract.

So even though Obama and his PR staff are busy trying to convince the public that millions of jobs were funded by the stimulus spending, it cannot say the jobs are permanent, or that the stimulus was the most effective way to create the largest number of jobs.

If people don't believe the stimulus bill created REAL jobs, it's not just because of the inflated numbers in early government reports of jobs "created or saved". It's because the very idea of politicians creating sustainable economic strength by borrowing $787 billion and doling it out to other politicians is simply ridiculous.

People have to look at what Obama and his socialists are REALLY doing under the cover of compassion and mercy. They are really just creating a new form of slavery in this country. Their goal is to continue to increase the number of Americans (VOTERS) that rely on the federal government for their existence. This is really just a different type of slavery that ensures the progressives will continue to remain in power. It will also eventually lead to this country becoming a totally socialistic country like Cuba or North Korea.

So, I am very sorry that you feel that my comments were UNEDUCATED . I really look forward to you sharing MANY MORE DETAILS so that I can become educated. However, I trust that you might be able to understand my suspicions regarding Obama and his intentions. We have experienced numerous recessions before and we came out of EVERY ONE OF THEM, this one would have been no different. However, Like Rahm Emanuel said when Obama and his socialists first got into office - “You never want to let a good crisis go to waste”. They are using this recession to advance the political agenda of the socialists. By robbing Peter to pay Paul, they will be able to count of Paul’s vote, or should I say openminded’s vote.

I look forward to your enlightening comments to further educate me.
  11. openmind
    openmind - April 17, 2010 8:59 pm
  12. J--Man
    J--Man - April 17, 2010 7:16 pm
    Way to spin the headline. It says the feds "secured" 7,000 jobs. Really??? Show us the list. The arrogance of this group in Washington who use the phrase "created or saved" and then think we are too stupid to understand they are full of crap. Vote them all out.
  13. Jammer
    Jammer - April 17, 2010 6:24 pm
    First of all, I do not believe any of the data. However, if you take their numbers and divide $960 million by 7000 jobs, it comes to $137,000 per job. What a deal!!!!
  14. Obamadana
    Obamadana - April 17, 2010 6:08 pm
    I'd love to see a list of some of the new jobs created. And government jobs really don't qualify. Anyone can add people to the tax supported jobs, but it is the private sector jobs that tell us if real jobs were created.

Activate subscription button gif

Which of the following options do you think would be a good solution to help increase funds for schools in our area?

4U2EV

4U2EV

4U2EV = For you to envy

July 04, 2015 3:31 pm(0)

MDU under price pressure from various sides

The request by Montana-Dakota Utilities to raise its prices for electricity and natural gas in South Dakota is now before the state Public Uti…

July 03, 2015 8:06 am(2)

New strip mall shopping center finishing up and ready for lease

Workers are just putting the finishing touches on a new retail or business strip mall at 651 E. Anamosa St. opposite of a First Interstate Ban…

July 02, 2015 1:32 pm(0)

State campground use is up

Doug Hofer, director for the state Division of Parks and Recreation, reported this afternoon that campground use is 8 percent higher year to d…

July 01, 2015 4:38 pm(0)