This photo brought to the Butte County Post is labeled "Belle Fourche Project" which would be the beginnings of construction on Orman Dam east of Belle Fourche.

The two, six and four-horse teams are fording the Belle Fourche River at Giles Ford en route to Owl Creek Freservoir.

They are listed as being loaded with 88 tons of oats. The photo was copyrighted 1906 by Louis A. Billings.

A 1907 photo of "The Last of the V and VVV Cowboys" published in 1907 was listed as being taken by a Louis G. Billings and had a label similar to where the lighter rectangle is on this photo.

The Library of Congress also has several 1906 photos copyrighted by a Louis G. Billings of what is labeled as Ute Indians dissatisfied with their treatment, arrested and brought through Belle Fourche by the Sixth Cavalry, and camped in Belle Fourche, en route to Ft. Meade.

Billings' work also is listed as in the New York Public Library collection.

Tags

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.