Harry Evans - mug shot


File photo

A judge set a $1 million cash-only bond Monday for a Pringle man accused of kidnapping, assaulting and burglarizing a woman in Custer County.

Authorities say 59-year-old Harry David Evans, while armed with a gun and knife, broke into the house of a female acquaintance around Wednesday night. He allegedly assaulted her, including sexually, and forcibly took her from the residence.

Evans was arrested the following day and made his initial court appearance in Pennington County on Monday morning. He is facing charges of first-degree kidnapping, second-degree rape, first-degree burglary, aggravated assault (domestic violence), stalking (second offense) and violating a protection order, according to 7th Circuit Court records.

During the hearing before Magistrate Judge Marya Tellinghuisen, Custer County State’s Attorney Tracy Kelley argued for a $1 million cash bond, believing Evans can afford to pay a huge amount to get out of jail.

Investigators believe Evans entered the victim’s house through an unlocked window after cutting open the screen, Kelley told the Journal. They also believe Evans forced the woman, who is in her 50s, to take her prescription of the sedative Ambien once she struggled.

“She was combative with him initially,” Kelley said in a phone interview, “and it was alleged that he had force-fed her some of that Ambien, so that obviously then she became compliant or more under his control.”

Evans “duct-taped her and wrapped her in a blanket,” Kelley said, placed her in her own vehicle and drove away from the house. The woman was apparently conscious all this time. Evans reportedly brought the woman back to her house and he left.

Kelley said she wasn’t certain where the alleged rape happened.

Get news headlines sent daily to your inbox

Police found the woman at home the following morning, Kelley said. They came to check on her after she reported a few days earlier that Evans got in touch with her on social media, potentially violating a court protection order.

Kelley believes Evans initially meant to do the woman more harm, “potentially end her life.”

Investigators reportedly found a dirt pick in the back seat of the victim’s vehicle. They think Evans took the tool from the woman’s shed, Kelley said, after they established that he had entered the shed. The prosecutor said she didn’t know why Evans decided to bring the woman back home.

Evans is due back at the Pennington County Courthouse on Sept. 25. He remained at the Pennington County Jail as of Monday evening.

Contact Tiffany Tan at tiffany.tan@rapidcityjournal.com.

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.

Cops and Courts Reporter

Cops and courts reporter for the Rapid City Journal