OST police monitoring Porcupine protest occupation

2011-03-07T19:14:00Z OST police monitoring Porcupine protest occupationMary Garrigan Journal staff Rapid City Journal
March 07, 2011 7:14 pm  •

Tribal officials continued to meet Monday with protesters who have peacefully occupied the elderly meals building in Porcupine since March 4, according to Capt. Milt Bianis of the Oglala Sioux Tribe police department.

"We're waiting on the tribe to negotiate with parties involved," Bianis said Monday. Police officers continue to make routine security checks of the building to ensure the safety of all parties, he said.

Bianis said allegations made by the Strong Heart Warrior Society that police were removing or arresting protesters were not true.

"It's totally false that police are removing elderly from the building," he said. "It's business as usual. ... We do go inside the building, making sure there is no vandalism occurring and insuring the safety of all parties involved."

Duane Martin Sr. and other members of the Strong Heart civil rights group accuse the staff of the elderly meals program in Porcupine of elder abuse, including physical threats and assault, psychological abuse, denial of meals, unsanitary conditions and undercooked food. They say they will occupy the tribal building until the tribal administration addresses those complaints.

Bianis said he has no evidence to support allegations of criminal activity allegations made against the program staff.

Porcupine District tribal council representatives did not return phone calls on Monday, nor did other tribal officials, including President John Yellow Bird Steele.

1. Magaska
    Magaska - March 08, 2011 11:12 am
    RE:4porcupineoyate...I know what you’re saying, I am aware of his background and I am not Devoted to him...I do my own thing, however I have done some projects with him and I do debate allot with him and choose my battles wisely. and I never called him a leader. However he has lead some really good issues and supported some good complaints. Show me others that are stepping up to the plate and making an effort to help our people...Not My first day....James Swan "United Urban Warrior Society"
  2. obvious
    obvious - March 08, 2011 10:38 am
    I am sure Rapid City Eldery Meals on Wheels doesn't have an overflowing backed up bathroom where they feed the elderly. If this was the case off Reservation I am positive people would be looking for another job and the state health inspector would have shut it down. What is so hard about demanding accountability from the people on the Res and our tribal Council. We claim to have respect for our elders but only when our Council needs votes. Their has been a formal Impeachment complaint filed on a certain Council Woman for disrespecting our elders and the people that put her in office. We need our people to support and protect oue elders from abuse and neglect.
  3. 4porcupineoyate
    4porcupineoyate - March 08, 2011 9:59 am
    He is not a leader of anything, investiagate his background before you give him your blind devotion.....antelope said: "Duane Martin Sr,is a true leader,tribal officials only care about a pay check,not the people,the elderly nutrition program is not soup kitchen."

4. Magaska
    Magaska - March 08, 2011 9:39 am
    RE: Junkyard dog....This Program is a tribal program, funded by the Tribe its emploies and paid by the tribe.Its not soup Kitchen.

RE:Comment Maker If have never herd anyone telling anyone or Duane claiming to be a Chief..
  5. Magaska
    Magaska - March 08, 2011 9:23 am
    If you don't know or understand the situation then you shouldn't say anything. "United Urban Warrior Society" was with "Strong Heart Warrior Society" Friday when we took over the building, I was there! I saw the the condition of that place. The toilets dint work, they were plugged. the carpet was ripped up outside the bathroom doors, because they were soaked from the toilets over flowing, a mop bucket was setting there at the ready, with old nasty water in it. I left at 10:00PM Friday night Unfortunately I have to work or I would have been there this whole time..I can guarantee anyone of you would not wont your loved ones in that place let alone eating there. Its bad management and poor leadership in that program...The tribal leaders should suspend the people involved and complete an investigation make a public announcement then we all could go home. Thanks for your time. James Swan President and founder of "United Urban Warrior Society"

6. secretarygirl
    secretarygirl - March 08, 2011 8:15 am
    I agree. This problem just isn't in Porcupine. There are other districts where the cooks for the elderly meals program feed their own families and there isn't enough food to feed the elders or they make a lot of food and take it home for themselves. These people have no shame! People in the Districts are blind to what's going on. They say well get out there and vote! We do but it just isn't enough. When someone does get in there and tries to change, right away certain people get together and cause trouble. If they do not like it they should start their own district and leave the rest alone!!!
  7. obvious
    obvious - March 08, 2011 7:37 am
    I don't know Mr. Martin But, I am really glad that some one has the courage to stand up for our elderly. To Mr. Yellow Bird-Steele, YOU need to take a strong stand and support the people who PUT YOU in office. And let me tell you IT WASN'T the O.S.T. Council. It was the people. Now the people are looking towards you for strong leadership and YOU better be paying attention. Why isn't our council responding? I will tell you why, They have much business to attend to to benefit their own interests with-in Tribal Politics that the people are simply a thought and then they continue doing what they have become good at,Deceiving the people. Darlis Morrison- Crow #867-2618.
  8. antelope
    antelope - March 08, 2011 5:49 am
  9. Comment Maker
    Comment Maker - March 07, 2011 9:44 pm
    Wow, I am getting tired of hearing and seeing this Duane Martin, Sr. person sticking his nose in to business that he can not follow through with. He is a radical, he's no leader. What good has he done for the Oglala Sioux Tribe? Now, non-natives are being told that he is the Chief of the Oglala Sioux Tribe which is not true. I only feel sympathy for the people who follow the antics of this person.
  10. Junkyard Dog
    Junkyard Dog - March 07, 2011 9:42 pm
    Why wait for the Tribe or government to do something? Couldn't the Strong Hearts be real warriors and start their own soup kitchen? Would Crazy Horse complain if the elderly in his band were going unfed? No! he would go out and kill a buffalo or deer. The solution to their problem lies in their own hands.

activate-button-3 FULL ACCESS

Should state public school students be required to pass a civics exam, similar to a U.S. citizenship test, in order to graduate from high school?

BECK 12

BECK 12

BECK 12 = We have no idea on this one. What do you folks know?

February 27, 2015 8:48 am(2)

Cold and breezy

Today

February 27, 2015 8:09 am(0)

Retaliators attack senators on gun bills

It takes a thick skin to vote against many of the pieces of gun-related legislation. Members of the state Senate Judiciary Committee are getti…

February 27, 2015 7:39 am(2)

Does it matter whether new city-penny passes?

There was mild surprise when the state Senate approved SB 135 on Feb. 9 by a 19-14 vote. The Daugaard administration opposes allowing cities t…

February 27, 2015 7:40 am(1)

Cemetery law needs Legislature’s repairs — or repeal

State laws that don’t work, such as South Dakota’s current regulations of cemeteries, shouldn’t be ignored. But that’s what’s happened this le…

February 26, 2015 7:18 am(1)