The Rapid City Rush looked to get back on the winning track once again as they took on the Utah Grizzlies on the road on Saturday night.

Even though the Rush found themselves in a bit of a hole midway through the second period, their offense became the aggressor in the third period and scored a pair of goals to score a 2-1 win over Utah at the Maverick Center in West Valley City, Utah.

Both teams had a tough time finding much offense in the first period, even though the Grizzlies had more scoring opportunities as they outshot the Rush 12-9 in the first 20 minutes.

In the final five minutes of the first, Utah took five shot attempts, while Rapid City only had one.

Although the first 10 minutes of the second were scoreless, the Grizzlies finally snapped the drought for both teams when Kyle Thomas scored on assists from Ryan Misiak and Michael Pelech at the 11:40 mark.

Utah kept up the pressure on the offensive end by outshooting the Rush 11-6 in the second period.

In the third period, the momentum swung the other way as Rapid City’s offense found a bit of a spark.

Seven minutes into the period, Pavel Jenys lit the lamp on assists from Peter Sivak and Riley Weselowski to tie the game at one goal apiece.

A little over 10 minutes later, the Rush would use a power play opportunity to take their first lead of the game on a Jack Walker goal.

The late Rapid City goal, which ended up being the deciding factor, came on assists from Daniel Leavens and Weselowski.

Get breaking news sent instantly to your inbox

The Grizzlies had two more shot attempts late, but couldn’t quite find the net as the Rush defense sealed the win.

Christian Frey had big night in the net for Rapid City as he turned Utah away on 32 of its 33 total shots in the contest.

The Rush finished with 26 total shots.

Rapid City (9-21-1-0) will finish its road trip in Utah today when it takes on the Grizzlies in a game that was postponed from Friday.

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.