You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
One person dies after ingesting hand sanitizer with methanol
AP

One person dies after ingesting hand sanitizer with methanol

{{featured_button_text}}

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — South Dakota health officials reported Thursday that one person has died of methanol poisoning after ingesting hand sanitizer containing methanol.

State epidemiologist Josh Clayton said two other people are hospitalized with methanol poisoning.

The Food and Drug Administration has warned people not to use certain alcohol-based hand sanitizers due to the dangerous presence of methanol, or wood alcohol. It is often used to create fuel and can be toxic when absorbed through the skin. It's life-threatening when ingested.

“Methanol is not an acceptable ingredient in hand sanitizer and must not be used due to its toxic effects,” Clayton said.

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

Concerned about COVID-19?

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alert

Breaking News