Subscribe for 33¢ / day
051018-nws-west003.JPG

This piece of land just west of the main Outdoor Campus West building will soon become a new walking archery range with 14 stations.

GOOD: Outdoor Campus West in Rapid City is about to add some exciting features. Work recently began on a 6,000-square-foot facility for archery, BB gun classes, boat-safety classes and possibly deer-skinning classes. In addition, South Dakota Game, Fish & Parks is adding a 14-station outdoor straight lane archery range and a 14-station walking archery course to the campus. The total price tag will be around $1.5 million with 75 percent of the money coming from federal grants and the remaining 25 percent from hunting and fishing license fees and private partnerships. “We are really going to use the heck out of this thing. It will be used year-round,” said Scott Simpson of GF&P.

BAD: The Human Services Center in Yankton has become a monument to South Dakota’s commitment to providing quality mental health care. A recent federal report on the circumstances surrounding the death of a 37-year-old Yankton woman pointed to a number of problems at the state-run psychiatric center. In its report, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services said the hospital failed to respect the patient’s rights and noted a severe shortage of providers there. The patient died after her request to be taken to an emergency room was ignored, the report said. State officials declined to respond to press queries about the report. In the meantime, the hospital now has 72 unfilled positions and recently hired a new administrator, who will be the fourth person in less than a year to lead the facility. It seems that either the state is unwilling or incapable of bringing the hospital up to an acceptable standard.

UGLY: Sexting is infiltrating every level of our schools in Rapid City. According to a presentation made last week made by representatives of the South Dakota Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force, students in elementary, middle and high school are taking and exchanging naked photos of themselves on their indispensable tool — the cellphone. Primarily, boys like to ask girls for nude photos and girls have somehow come to believe that this is part of the “dating” process, which almost defies belief. The boys also like to swap and share the photos. What has happened to children to make them think this is OK and how do they not understand the implications of their behavior? Only parents can deter or stop this activity and that might mean putting their own phones down long enough to really engage with their children and find out what they are doing with their time on so-called social media.

0
0
0
0
0
You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.