Subscribe for 33¢ / day

It took Pavel Jenys two minutes, 40 seconds into his first game back from the Iowa Wild to find the back of the net, which set the pace for his three-point night in his return from the AHL in a 5-2 win for the Rapid City Rush against the Kansas City Mavericks.

That, along with a career-high four-point night for Chase Lang helped power Rapid City.

Kansas City's John Schiavo started off the scoring entries just 1:50 into the action, finding a wide-open area in front of the Rush net. He deflected an Alex Brooks pass over the shoulder of Rush goalie Adam Vay to give the Mavericks a 1-0 lead (Brooks and Nick Miglio assisted).

Exactly 50 seconds later, Jenys took the puck into the Mavericks zone, and from the near wall fired a shot that got deflected by Mavs goalie Tyler Parsons to square the game up at 1-1 with 2:40 played in the game (Jack Walker and Chase Lang assisted).

Shy of the midway point of the first, Jenys was at it again, rotating to the blue line in the Mavericks zone and dishing to the point to Geoff Fortman. Fortman flung a wrister from the blue line that zipped past a screened Parsons to give the Rush a 2-1 lead with 10:35 left in the first (Jenys had the lone assist).

Jenys added a second tally in the second when Chase Lang circled the Mavericks zone, and from behind the net found Jenys in the slot. Jenys separated from his defender and zipped a wrister over Parsons to give the Rush a 3-1 lead with 6:24 played in the second (Lang and Walker assisted).

With 6:04 gone by in the third, Dante Salituro went up the ice with Ian Brady. Salituro unloaded a wrist shot that hit the back bar of the goal to put the Rush up 4-1 (Brady and Peter Sivak assisted).

Lang notched his career-high fourth and final point with the last Rush goal of the game, scoring on a backhand to give the Rush a 5-1 lead with 7:03 left in the game (the goal was unassisted).

Former Rush forward Mark Cooper struck one last time for the Mavericks with 5:38 left in the game.

Rapid City (15-24-2-0) take on Kansas City (23-19-0-1) again tonight at 6 p.m.

Thunder varsity boys to host Fremont this weekend

The Rushmore Thunder boys' varsity hockey team hosts Fremont, Nebraska, tonight (7:30 p.m.) and Sunday (at 2:30 p.m.) at the Thunderdome in its final home weekend of South Dakota Amateur Hockey Association league games.

 The Thunder currently sit atop the league standings at 9-1-1. It will be the final home weekend for nine senior players.

 For the Saturday evening game, the boys varsity and junior varsity will be collecting winter clothing items for donation to Working Against Violence, Inc. (WAVI). The teams encourage fans to bring items such as winter coats, scarves, hats, and gloves to the game for donation.

Jenys, Caito return to Rush from Iowa

Forward Pavel Jenys and defenseman Matt Caito have been assigned back to the Rapid City Rush from Iowa, it was announced on Friday.

Get breaking news sent instantly to your inbox

Both were in the lineup Friday night against the Kansas City Mavericks in Kansas City.

Jenys comes back to the Rush after his first call-up to the Wild. He registered one point in three games for Iowa this season, which served as his first career AHL goal against Chicago on Jan. 17.

With the Rush this season, the 6-foot-3, 205-pounder has 12 goals, nine assists and 21 points in 29 games played. 

Caito also comes back to the Rush following his second stint with the Wild this season. He appeared in four games for Iowa this season, tallying one assist.

With Rush this season, the 5-11, 190-pounder has 11 points (two goals, nine assists) in 13 games.

Former Spearfish football coach Mark Kool passes away

Former Spearfish High school football coach Mark Edward Kool, 59, of Fairfield, Iowa, passed away Jan. 19 at Lakeside Hospital in Omaha, Neb.

Kool, who graduated from Huron High School, played football at South Dakota State University (1977-79). He would move on to coaching, and coached the Spartans fro 1993-200. He led Spearfish to its first state title in 1997. As a result, the South Dakota High School Coaches Association named him the 1997 Football Coach of the Year.

In 2000, he relocated to Fairfield where he coached at Fairfield High School.

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.